Tips For Saving Money On Laundry
10 Tips for Saving on Laundry
Laundry can be pretty expensive! Here are a few tips to help you be thrifty!
1. Ditch your dryer sheets and fabric softener. I have sensitive skin, so we rarely use these. Our clothes are just fine without them. For times of the year when the static is really bad, I cut a free and clear dryer sheet in half. (This is very green too.)
2. Look for sales on Laundry Soap. I can usually get a full sized bottle of my preferred brand for $2.50 or less.
3. Make your own Laundry Soap. I have to be honest and say that I haven’t tried this. It can be very thrifty and green though!
4. Use less soap. I only fill my soap up to the fill line when I have heavily soiled clothes. Most of the time, half as much does the same job, if not better!
5. Use cold water when possible. I try to reserve warm or hot water for one load of whites per week. This should make a quick difference in your bill.
6. Only do full loads of laundry (or change the size settings). If you only do full loads, you will be using less electricity.
7. Hang clothes to dry. I am seriously considering asking for a clothes line this year, but you don’t have to have one. I hang all my sweaters over the dining room chairs to dry.
8. Only wash dirty clothes. This may seem obvious, but husbands and kids need to follow this too. Don’t let them put clean clothes in the hamper!
9. Use towels more than once. We use our towels for quite a stretch, but have a great place to hang them to dry too. Reusing a towel just once will save on the loads of laundry you do.
10. Don’t rerinse the clothes or fluff the dryer. This is easier said than done for me. I sometimes forget a load of clothes in the washer or dryer. It has been my goal to remove clothes promptly to prevent having to use more energy!
What do you do to save on laundry?
Shelly is a full-time fourth grade teacher and blogs at Coupon Teacher. She wants you to share and celebrate your successes with her, and she may give you a few tips along the way! Right now, she is offering a free savvy shopping course. She would love for you to join her!