I’ve wanted to update my kitchen since we moved in, almost 4 years ago! The above are before pictures I took tonight. Yes I cleaned the kitchen before I took these. It never looks this clean! I figured I should have something to refer back too when all the doors are off, plates are in the dinning room and I can’t see the oven! They are just basic cabinets and laminate countertops. I hate the red tone to the cabinets. New tile floors were done a couple years ago so I don’t need to touch them. There have been 3 things holding me back: Money, the skills and indecisiveness. I have gotten over the indecisiveness. I admitted to myself that tearing down that wall was unrealistic! I am working on the skills part and mostly it’s just getting past the “what if I really mess it up” part. Big deal, it’s just some cabinets and countertops right? ::bites nails:: With all of the internet resources out there including bloggers who have chronicled every step of the process when they did something similar, to free classes at places like Floor and Decor. Then there is the money thing. I’m planning on doing most of the work myself, with a little assistance from anyone who wants to help? Anyone? hehe. That alone will save us a ton of money. I will be buying the items I need slowly, with my coupons. Most importantly I need to commit and stop putting other things ahead of the list, like Health Insurance or groceries. Here is my rough draft of a plan. I have not laid out the specific order yet.
1) Add crown molding to the top and bottom of existing cabinets. Add beadboard to the exposed sides. I’m thinking about raising at least 2 of the cabinets to give it that staggered look. But this maybe more work than I really need.
2) Paint cabinets – I’m going for the cream antique look like this:
3) Add cabinet hardware and under cabinet lighting
4) Install granite tile countertops.
5) Replace sink (if budget allows)
6) Install glass tile backsplash. I love the tiles above but I also like the small 1 inch glass tiles.
7) Additional DREAM items – New microwave, dishwasher and oven to match the titanium refrigerator.
No decisions have been made yet on colors or styles but I’m researching now. Bookmarking website and ideas so I can save time and refer back to them later. I just informed my hubby of the “Plan”. I’m trying to make sure to do that, instead of him reading this at the same time you all do! Ok it’s in writing, I’m committed. We’ll see how long it takes me to accomplish. I’ll be sure you keep you updated on the process for those of you interested in doing it yourselves. If you’ve done any of the above and have any tips, I would love to hear them!
Here are a few websites I’ve bookmarked: