This is one of my favorite things to make and the family loves them. I doubled the recipe and cooked way more than we needed, but I froze some for future meals.
Homemade Meatball Recipe
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/2 pound ground veal
- 1/2 pound ground beef chuck
- 2 slices of stale white bread
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 medium onion, grated (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Olive Oil
- You’ll need a large bowl to combine all 3 meats, parmesan, parsley, onion, garlic, salt, egg and the bread crumbs. This is where you get all dirty. I used my hands to mix it all together. Then form meat mixture into balls. They should be a little bigger than a golf ball. Don’t press or pack the meat too tightly or it will be tough.
- Refrigerate the meatballs for at least 1 hour.
- Heat half the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and add some pepper. Add a few of the meatballs and brown on all sides.
- Remove from skillet and drain on some paper towels. Browning the remaining meatballs and drain. (We love our meatballs crispy on the outside.)
- Add the meatballs to your spaghetti sauce and bring to a boil and simmer for about 15 minutes to finish cooking the meatballs through. ( I made a double batch so I froze the remaining meatballs. I did not put these in sauce, so I can do that when I’m ready to use them. They should freeze well for up to 6 weeks.)
*As a side tip on the ground veal. There aren’t many stores around me that carry it on a regular basis. My Publix ordered it for me and it should have been there 2 days later, however there was a mix up. So I hit Walmart with no luck and finally found it at Winn Dixie. Plan ahead in case your store needs to special order it for you. Start by making the bread into crumbs and then add the milk to re-hydrate them.
These were yummy. My 6 year old daughter actually ate them and she’s miss picky!
Let me know if you make these and if you like them as much as we do.