French onion (pain in the bunion but worth it) soup
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 large thinly sliced onions
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 1/3 cup dry cooking sherry
- 6 cups reduced sodium chicken stock
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tsp. soy sauce
- 8- 3/4 ” slices of french baguette
- gruya cheese sliced for the top (I used mozzarella)
- butter and oil in skillet, add onions and salt cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- add sugar and cook for 15 mins until golden (watch the color not the clock)
- add flour, reduce to medium/low and cook for 2 mins
- add sherry and cook for 2 minutes (scrape bottom of pan) (it should look really gooey at this point)
- put in saucepan, add stock and pepper and boil
- reduce to low and simmer covered for 10 mins
- add soy
- bread slices on baking sheet and bake 7 mins each side (350)
- put soup in oven safe bowl, slice of bread on top with cheese on top of that, broil for 2 minutes until bubbly
- cool and serve.
Here are some pictures: ( I felt inspired to make it after I did the post this morning)
this is step 2 where you have already cooked the onions covered, and you are adding in the sugar and stuff one at a time.
Here is step 4, notice the color and how gooey it looks, this is good.
Here is step 5
And finally, the end… yummo!
* yours may look different… I used thinner bread and low fat mozzarella to cut the calories. But, yummy anyway!